Have you ever had neck pain, dizziness, nausea or lack of air? These are all signs of osteochondrosis of the neck.
Osteochondrosis is a common problem that worries more and more people every year. Can cervical osteochondrosis be cured? Let's first look at the factors of occurrence and signs of occurrence.
Stages of osteochondrosis
Osteochondrosis of the cervical vertebrae is a disease whose effect weakens the discs between the vertebrae, resulting in changes in the texture of the discs themselves, the vertebrae and the joints of the neck. At the first stage, the symptoms are almost invisible, as the changes in the cartilaginous vertebrae are only just beginning. The following symptoms are observed:
- Unpleasant sensations in the neck, arms, shoulders.
- Slight limitation of motor activity in the neck.
- Short-term visual impairment.
- Reduces the sensitive area of the cervix.
During the second stage, a small spinal hernia may occur, the intervertebral slits may narrow. Due to the compression of the nerve trunks, point pain syndromes are felt when performing the movements.
Manifestations of the disease:
- Neck hurts and a crunch is heard during turns.
- Loss of skin sensation on the arms and shoulders.
- The vision is diminishing.
- I hear hissing in my ears.
- The face and neck become numb;
- The upper limbs weaken.
- Shooting pains radiating to the shoulder blade.
- Insomnia, sleeping problems.
The third step is difficult to process. A hernia is formed, the spine is deformed, there are changes in position, dislocations of the vertebrae:
- Severe pain in neck, heart muscle, cervix area.
- The skin on the head, shoulders and arms stops being felt.
- The upper limbs are paralyzed.
- Tendon reflexes are no longer visible.
- A herniation of the cervical vertebrae begins.
The fourth final stage in which the symptoms get worse.
Factors that influence the onset and development of osteochondrosis of the cervical vertebrae:
- Seated work, lack of mobility.
- Previous vertebral lesions.
- Mental disorders, nervous tension, stress.
- Poor physical shape.
- Curvature of the spine, scoliosis, poor posture.
- Incorrect body positions which have become a habit.
- Tension of the neck, the back, by means of the work.
- Hereditary predisposition.
- Unusual physical stress on the body, increased activity.
- Violation of the rules of healthy eating.
The cervical ridge experiences increased stress, which the neck muscles try to balance, due to the influence of the factors mentioned above. Muscle spasm sets in, the body's blood circulation is disturbed. Anatomical lesions appear.
Symptoms of the disease
The symptoms of osteochondrosis of the cervical spine are different from the symptoms of this disease seen in other parts of the spine. The proximity of the cervical vertebrae causes compression of the nerve roots and the spinal cord.
I am experiencing the following symptoms:
- Location of pain: in the neck, back of the head, shoulder, arms and legs. When connecting the nerve roots to the process, discomfort is felt in the shoulders, on the back of the head, the restructuring of the upper limb begins. A spasm of the neck muscles at the back of the head results in impaired blood flow.
- Weakness in the arms, caused by a dysfunction of the root, which includes the motor nerves that rebuild muscles in the arms.
- There is a restructuring of the hands, due to decreased sensitivity of the hands, damage to the root, which includes the sensory nerves.
- During head movements, pain is felt and a cracking sound is heard. It is caused by the defeat of the small joints of the neck, a reduction in the level of the intervertebral disc.
- Lack of strength, fatigue, dizziness, lack of coordination. Due to the displacement of the vertebrae, the artery in the spine is compressed. This leads to deterioration of blood flow, weakening the blood supply to the occipital lobe, the cerebellum.
- Sight complication, the tongue loses sensitivity.
Symptoms of cervical osteochondrosis in women are similar to those in men. At the age of 46-60 years, the fair sex turns to stone, tingling the hands during sleep.
Why osteochondrosis is dangerous
The disease damages the whole organism.
The cervical region contains a large number of arteries, nerve endings, blood vessels that supply the brain. Tightly squeezed, due to the slightest pathology, they are compressed, leading to deterioration of blood circulation in the brain, give rise to migraines, disturb the heart rhythm and difficulty in breathing, vision, coordination andattention begin.
Pathologies causing osteochondrosis of the cervical spine:
- Brain disease;
- vertebral artery syndrome;
Death is the worst consequence that occurs when the spinal cord is compressed.
When all the symptoms of cervical osteochondrosis have been taken into account, the factors of its development have been identified, we will consider the treatment used in this case.
Treatment for cervical osteochondrosis in women is no different from treatment in men.
- Pain relief.
- Elimination of edema.
- Normalization of blood circulation.
- Strengthening the muscles of the back, abdominals, chest.
- Improved nutrition and tissue repair.
Any stage or symptom should seek medical attention. Specialists choosing a complex treatment: surgeon, neurologist, physiotherapist, massage therapist. Drug therapy, physiotherapy, massage of the cervix area are used, therapeutic exercises are recommended, since they are effective in osteochondrosis.
Drugs used for treatment:
- Medicines that relieve muscle spasms.
- Vitamins that improve metabolism in the nervous system.
- NSAIDs which reduce pain, relieve inflammation and swelling.
- Joint preparations that restore cartilage tissue, injuries in the intervertebral discs.
- Drugs that improve the nutrition of damaged nerve cells regulate blood flow to the brain.
First aid for exacerbations
There are times when the pain becomes unbearable and the visit to the doctor should be postponed. It is recommended to drink pain relievers. You can apply pepper bandage for pain relief, but it should be noted that you cannot expect a long-term effect. The plaster warms the inflamed area and temporarily relieves pain. To relieve puffiness, it is recommended to use herbal infusions for 3-4 days. Is it possible to cure cervical osteochondrosis with these methods? No, the above methods are short term, for a full recovery you need to see a doctor.
- Electrophoresis- ions of the anesthetic drug enter the sensitive spot under the action of an electric current. Often done with pain relievers.
- Laser therapy- has anti-inflammatory properties, guarantees better blood circulation, by means of exposure to light.
- Magnetic therapy- relieves tissue swelling, has an analgesic effect.
- Ultrasound- there is an improvement in metabolic processes, pain relief, relief of inflammation of damaged areas.
When it comes to physiotherapy, there are a few simple exercises you should know. Regular training will bring the expected results very quickly.
Attention!When performing the complex, you should not feel pain, discomfort.
- Lie on your stomach, resting your hands on it. Keep your back straight while raising your head and body. Hold the position for about 2 minutes, then assume the starting position. Continue the exercise 2-3 times.
- Take a lying position on the floor, stretch your arms along the body, try to touch your ear to the floor, turning your head to the left. Perform 6-7 repetitions.
- Inhale while sitting on the floor, lean forward trying to touch the chest with your head. After exhaling, lean back, throw your head back. Do 10 to 15 repetitions.
- Pressing on the forehead, lower it to the palms, sitting on the floor. Perform for about 30 seconds, 2-3 repetitions.
- Circular rotation of the head. Run gently, slowly, so that your head begins to spin. If dizziness appears, finish gymnastics. Do 10 rotations in each direction.
This method of treatment should be used only in conjunction with the complex prescribed by the doctor. In such variations, the following are used: traditional medicine, therapeutic exercises, massage.
Recipes for relieving discomfort at home:
- A horseradish leaf tied around the neck and secured with a bandage or cloth will help. It is recommended to soak with boiling water, then cool to room temperature. It is best to leave the dressing on overnight.
- Cut the potatoes, mix with honey (one by one). Use once a week as a compress.
- Warming up will help relieve pain. You can apply mustard plaster, sandbag, pepper plasters, etc.
We advise you not to ask forums for help, you should rely on the diagnoses made by doctors.
Therapeutic massage can be performed at home, includes elements of classic massage. It starts with a healthy part of the body, moving smoothly to a sore spot. The complex is selected for the individual characteristics of the patient, the stage of the disease. To perform the massage, the patient should take a horizontal position on the floor, lowering his forehead to his hands, pulling his chin to the chest. Relax your neck muscles.
Massage treatment techniques:
- Start massaging with movements, which start from the neck area.
- Push-ups, for execution the masseur puts his hand on the neck and moves along the spine. Alternatively, this technique can be performed towards the shoulder.
- Rubbing is done to warm the neck muscles, as the body relaxes, bleeding improves. Starting from the skull, the movements are directed, the movements are oriented along the spine.
- The neck should be kneaded in a circular motion.
- It is necessary to end with vibrations, carried out by beating and shaking.
The following rules should be followed to prevent illness:
- Play sports (swimming is the most efficient).
- Increase the consumption of foods containing calcium and magnesium.
- Warm up several times a day, especially if you have a sedentary job.
- Choose the right pillow (must be low) and the right mattress (must not be soft). Watch the neck position during sleep: the neck angle should be at least 15 degrees.
- Take a hot shower for at least 10 minutes a day.
- For people who don't like sports, experts advise to practice yoga regularly.
- Better quit the gym. Strength training can make health problems worse.
Osteochondrosis and pregnancy
How to treat osteochondrosis while carrying a child? Of course, you have to limit yourself to drug use. Ointments with a natural composition and folk methods will help.Remember!During pregnancy, all possible effects on the neck area (eg heating) are prohibited.
Does osteochondrosis occur in young people? No matter how adults convince themselves that it is too early for adolescents to contract such diseases, they are observed more and more often. It can develop as a result of congenital or acquired cartilage failure.
During an exacerbation of the disease, it is forbidden to heat the neck, as this can lead to increased swelling.
This article reviewed not only basic concepts, but also effective methods of treating cervical osteochondrosis. They will help you cope with painful sensations, feel comfortable and confident, wherever you are.