Osteochondrosis – a disease of the spine in which the intervertebral discs (and later the bodies of the vertebrae, joints and ligaments) lose their ability to normal functioning.
Cause of degenerative disc disease is currently considered the totality of the factors, which affect the spine throughout a person's life. Another risk of developing degenerative disc disease create injuries the vertebral pillar, as well as disorders of posture. Some patients noted communication early in the disease and hypothermia.
In practice, it is customary to consider
- cervical osteochondrosis,
- osteochondrosis of the thoracic and
- in the area of the lumbar spine.
Separately, it should be noted osteochondrosis of the ordinary, characterized by failure of several departments of the spine.
The most common are the neck and chest forms, because these formations of the spine exposed to the greatest stress.
Symptoms of degenerative disc disease
When osteochondrosis patients describe symptoms such as:
- paroxysmal or shooting pain in the affected osteochondrosis of the spine;
- increased pain after exercise, as well as in the morning;
- the pain can give in the neck, arm or leg and also the rib cage;
- feel the crunch in the implementation of twists and turns.
For degenerative disc disease is also a typical symptoms of a neurological character on the affected side:
- partial disorders of movements (stump);
- unpleasant feelings in the form of chills, tingling (paraesthesia);
- when palpation determined by the muscle tension, corresponding to the affected department.
Disease begins and develops gradually, not drastically.
It is necessary to distinguish osteochondrosis of the spine from coronary heart disease (when heart disease the emergence of pain is not associated with physical stress, and is caused by extraneous factors: cough, lengthy and a seating area).
The same symptoms can be symptoms of various diseases, and the disease can progress not according to the textbook. Do not try to treat yourself, consult with your doctor.
Therapy degenerative disc disease always requires a comprehensive approach. In the treatment it is necessary to pay attention to such doctors, as a therapist, rheumatologist, neurologist, and rehabilitation. Treatment of degenerative disc disease of the spine depends on the localization, the prevailing symptoms and the severity of the disease.
Conservative therapy is aimed at eliminating pain symptoms, and also to restore the normal function of the spine.
Rational nutrition, in osteochondrosis greatly facilitates the condition of the patient and contributes to more effective therapy. Read more about the principles of eating in osteochondrosis in our separate article.
On the operative treatment is directed about 10% of patients. The absolute pointer to the operational intervention upon osteochondrosis is the emergence of neurological disorders due to pinch points itself to the spinal cord.
Other indicators for surgical treatment of degenerative disc disease generally assumes the following:
- longer recurring bouts of pain;
- increased mobility and a suspected instability in the spine;
- the ineffectiveness of drug therapy during 3 months;
- clearly expressed disorders that prevent the patient to lead a full life.
Methods of surgical treatment
Surgical procedures with a minimum of traumatization:
- In the intervertebral disc after puncturevine injected enzyme preparations with the aim of scarring the core and the fibrous rings of the disc.
- Puncture nucleotomy – puncture of the intervertebral disc for removal of poison.
- De reception of the disc – the intervertebral disc is introduced to the drug, blocking the sensitivity of the nerve endings.
Other methods of surgical treatment of degenerative disc disease of the spine are less gentle. These include:
- Complete or partial removal of the intervertebral disc or hernia – this surgery is aimed at reducing symptoms squeezing.
- The basal of the intervertebral disc – the main task is the determination of the affected vertebral segments.
The operational methods of treatment of degenerative disc disease of the spine to give a prognosis for full recovery is only in 50% of cases.
With prompt treatment, the prognosis for life is almost always favorable, however, the forecast for the disability may be different due to a number of factors.
Exercise in osteochondrosis
Tilt your head forward, and at the same time gentle pressure on the forehead woven fingers. Consistently push the fingers on the back of the head and whiskey - on the left, to the right. The head acts against the pressure of the hands and arms - the head pressure. Make 10 sec. on every move.
Put the tips of four fingers on the forehead against each other, gently push the skin of the entire surface on the palm and a soft traction movements stretch it during 10-40 sec. The same stretching we can do and the temple in longitudinal and transverse direction. Same - on-ear - stretch in all directions, especially the lobe. Ie oa you improve blood circulation in areas rich in biologically active points.
This kind of massage improves blood circulation in the neck veins, improves the nutrition of the brain. Sit down exactly, back straight. Slowly take the head back, helping hands, gentle pressure on the chin back and up. You can slowly turn your head slightly to the left and to the right. Stay in this position for about a minute. Children with plenty of 10 sec.
This exercise improves the functioning of the cervical nerve plexus. Sit down exactly, back straight. Slowly tilt your head forward, trying to touch the chin chest. Give woven fingers on the back of the head, push forward and up, lifting your head. Sit so for about a minute. Minutes, after the 15 can be repeated.
Raise your shoulders up, trying to get into the ears, lower, freer, faster - within 15 sec. Now, alternately, one shoulder up, the other down, too 15 sec. Rub the cervical spine, the palms.