Pain is one of the varieties of protective reaction of the organism in response to the impact of any of the most serious pathogenic outbreaks factors. In addition to the mobilization of different functional systems, serves as a kind of signal to the man himself about the current negative changes in the body. Among the many variety of the tabernacle of the localization of the discomfort exactly pain in the lower back pain is the most common.
In the course of time such discomfort understood exclusively as a manifestation of back pain, so patients sent for consultation to a neurologist.
However, later it was proved that this disease is diagnosed only in 8% of cases, when the pain occurs in the lower back. Therefore, it is currently the only right recognized by the hypothesis that such symptomatology may be associated with different impairments of the internal organs, which is located at the level of the sacrum and lower back.
According to the length of the pain is divided into acute and chronic. The acute form of this syndrome is called, if these clinical manifestations lasting for more than 3 months.
Therapeutic classification pathology
Clinically are issued several types of this syndrome:
- generated during a muscle spasm.
Local pain in the lumbar spine bears a permanent character, its intensity may change depending on the position of the body, she also is amplified when driving.
Projection pain in the lower back pain has a neurological origin. It can be spilled or concentrated in one point. Arises when damage or interference to the nerve fibers transmitting the painful impulses to the relevant departments of the brain. When this discomfort may spread along the course of the nerve.
Root syndrome has all the symptoms of lumbago, then there arises suddenly, for no apparent reason. In peace, wear a dull aching character, however any movement is accompanied by a painful sharp shooting pain impulses.
Reflected pain syndrome occurs when damage to internal organs. The incidence of discomfort due to the fact that the tissue in the vicinity of the hearth pathology and a defined area of the spinal pillars are linked with one and the same nerve.
Classification according to the patho-genetic mechanism for the occurrence of
- Nociceptive. Appears when the irritation of specific receptors as a result of tissue damage when injury, strains, wounds, inflammation, etc. Such a pain in the lower back carries the sharp character, and its intensity depends on the severity and duration of the faulty process. However, if the disease affects the bone or muscle tissue, painful becomes blunt.
- The defeat of the nerve fibers. Usually occurs when damage to the roots of the vertebrae due to intervertebral hernia. As it gives to the lower limbs, the pains are of a chronic nature, and are accompanied by impaired sensitivity of the skin, mobility disorders.
- Psychogenic. Pain in the lower back similar genesis occurs very rarely. Usually such diagnosis put, if in the course of half a year, the doctors were unable to detect the exact causes of the discomfort in the spine.
However, not always the cause of similar symptoms may be such "harmless". Dangerous in terms of further development forecasts are the following diseases:
- Tumor. Diagnosed with less than 1% of patients with low back pain. Risk factors used the availability of cancer history of disease is sudden weight loss without apparent causes, age over 50 years, the pain impulses during sleep or at rest.
- Infection. In favor of such a diagnosis says that the increase in body temperature, chronic bacterial lesions of the epidermis, urinary, respiratory system, immunodeficiency status, intake of corticosteroids.
- The Cauda equina syndrome. The disease is associated with a pinched large nerve fibers in the lumbar-sacral division. In such a case, the pain wears of the moving character, gives in the buttocks and the back surface of the legs. When serious damage to a person loses sensitivity in the lower extremities and the ability to move them in full.
- Compression fractures of the spine. In the vast majority of cases it is preceded by severe trauma, sometimes it can develop on the combination of older age (over 70 years) and degenerative disc disease.
- Acute liposuction of the abdomen of the aneurysm. Often, this pathology is asymptomatic and the only clinical manifestation of the serve as pain in the lower back.
- A Herniated disc. Accompanies the sudden pain, muscle weakness in the legs.
In addition, a cooling, spicy or, on the contrary, nagging, stabbing pain in the lower back can be the result of congenital anomalies of the structures of the spine, protrusion, or damage of the intervertebral discs, various lesions of the joints in arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis. In some cases, pain in the lower back is caused by impaired metabolism, osteoporosis, neurological disorders.
The projection of pain syndrome occurs when ulcers or tumours of the posterior wall of the stomach, pancreatitis, inflammatory processes, and diverticulitis of the large intestine. In women, this symptomatology sometimes is due to gynecological diseases and in men, tumors of the prostate or inflammation of the prostate gland.
If you suddenly got sick rotation in the area of the lower back, pain wearing a sharp unbearable character, it may be indicative of diseases of the urinary and enforcement of stones in the ureter.
If the patient turned to the doctor with complaints on pain in the lower back, the tactics of diagnosis and treatment is as follows:
- Examination of the person collecting the medical history, with special attention to the symptoms indicative of life-threatening conditions.
- If manifestations of severe disease are absent, is prescribed for the relief of pain, therapy in the acute period, therapeutic gymnastics, massage.
- The identification of symptoms of dangerous disease requires further diagnostic lab and instrumental methods.
- After a diagnosis, prescribe certain medications, sometimes surgery is needed.
If examination of the patient does not provide any information, and the action of the pill and the injection delivers the result in the course of half a year, they recommend consulting the profile of the specialist to exclude or confirm the psychogenic origin of the disease.
Hurt my back in the lumbar: the specifics of the symptomatology, when it is necessary to turn to the doctor, the method of detection
As usually, chronic discomfort in the lower back are caused by certain factors related to the way of life of the patient and presence of associated diseases.
Some totally defy non-drug correction, the other can be repaired only with the help of drugs, physiotherapy or surgery.
If chronic back ache in the lumbar should pay attention to such factors:
- very strong load on the spine, which is associated with professional activities, extended stay in an uncomfortable position both in the workplace and in private life;
- lack of regular exercise, either too sharp the beginning of the training;
- significant physically load without the proper preparation of the muscles;
- disorders of posture (scoliosis, kyphoscoliosis, stoop);
- frequent colds disease;
- the defeat of the digestive tract;
- smoking, abuse of coffee drinks.
Chronic pain usually occurs after the bankruptcy, the acute, and without regard for her as a primary symptom. Among the most common causes of its occurrence is used, instability of the spinal column on the background of degenerative disc disease, myofascial syndrome, arthrosis of the facet joints of the spine. Usually the discomfort is amplified when walking, moving, turning or slopes of the fuselage.
Acute pain in the lumbar typically associated with injuries of bone, connective tissue or muscle tissue of the comb, falling. The sudden emergence of such feelings could testify about the departure of the stone from the kidneys and its subsequent movement on the urinary path. Quite often, women complain that it hurts your back in the area of the lower back pain after childbirth due to the strong load, and pelvis, and the sciatic spine.
Similar to the symptoms of experiencing every person, but not everyone is turning to the doctor. So when it is needed to arrange for a consultation?
Testimony to the examination, if the back hurts in the lumbar, serve as risk factors:
- higher age;
- the presence of chronic diseases of the musculoskeletal system;
- related infectious pathology;
- increase in body temperature, the appearance of symptoms of the total intoxication of the organism, loss of appetite and weight loss;
- the presence of blood in the urine, tachycardia, pain in the abdomen and other characters, that of the defeat of the internal organs.
For the determination of the causes of pain in the lumbar doctors use the following methods of diagnosis:
- Radiography. It is prescribed in most cases serves as the main way to identify vertebral fractures. On the picture it is possible to adjust the height of the gaps between the vertebrae, deformation of the intervertebral disc, degenerative changes in the tumor. In some cases the normal x-ray is not enough, repeat the procedure under a load (tilt forward or to the side etc.).
- Electromyography. Helps to determine the excitability and the functional conductivity of the nerve endings. Prescribed radiculopathy, unclear reason, if the back hurts in the lumbar spine, prior to surgical intervention.
- Densitometry (procedure for determining the density of bone tissue). Is prescribed for the detection of osteoporosis and the degree of its severity.
- Computer and magnetic resonance imaging. Are more informative alternative to radiology studies. Allows in the course of one procedure, the image in several planes, to determine the presence of neoplasms in the area of the spinal cord or the pathology of the myelin sheath. In addition, CT and MRI are different lower radiation burden.
- Scintigraphy. Studies are carried out with the help of a contrast radioactive isotopes. Basically it is prescribed for diagnostics of malignant tumors.
- Myelography. Procedure when a contrast solution is injected directly into the affected area. This study allows to determine the contours and the localization of intervertebral hernia, if the back hurts in the area of the lumbar.
Also prescribe common blood tests, research for the determination of the concentration of calcium, phosphorus, alkaline phosphatase. According to the testimony of consist tests for detection of rheumatoid factor and other specific markers of arthritis. If necessary, do x-ray chest x-ray, ULTRASOUND examination of the abdominal organs and the urinary system.
However, the specific patient to prescribe, by far not all of the mentioned methods. Those are only needed for the differential diagnosis of life-threatening conditions. In general, if it hurts your back in the lumbar, to determine the exact causes of give the direction of the x-rays, CT, MRI, or some laboratory tests.
What to do when back hurts in the lower back: healing actions, folk remedies
So in acute lumbodynia shows:
- Bed rest, restriction of physical exertion, for a period of 2 to 5 days.
- Cold either heat packs, applied during the first days on 10 - 20 minutes every 2 hours.
- The wearing of braces. It is a very common recommendation, what to do when back hurts in the lower back.
- The use of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory agents.
- The use of muscle relaxants, use no longer than 14 days.
- Local applying warming ointments.
- On the testimony - the blockade of the local a local anesthetic.
In addressing the question of what to do when back hurts in the lower back, you can take the recipes of alternative medicine. For example:
- Take 4-5 root vegetables turnips, washed and cut into small pieces, pour a glass of boiling water and put on half an hour in the oven. Then grind to the consistency of porridge, cool it and use for compresses. Duration of treatment - up to half an hour.
- Rub the fresh root of the horseradish and rub them to the affected area, once every two days.
- In acute pain it is necessary to take a few root vegetables radish, wash and skip through the meat grinder. Porridge put on your back for 10-15 minutes.
- Take 20 g of dry fruits of physalis, grind and mix with 80 g of butter. Lubricate the area of the lumbar twice a day.
- Tablespoon of herbs thyme grind to a powder and mix with the melted butter in a ratio of 1:3. Apply to the affected area twice a day.
- They are also recommended baths. To prepare a decoction of healing kilogram of straw of oats, pour 10 liters of water and boil 20 minutes. After the solution is poured into a pre-prepared bath. Length of procedure - 15 minutes. Perform it can only on doctor's permission.
- Two tablespoons of herbs clover and 4 tablespoons of chamomile pharmacies, pour a glass of boiling water and torment on a water bath 15 minutes, cool, strain, squeeze the medicinal raw materials and bring volume infusion of boiled water to 200 ml. Used in hot form as polishing.
- Mix 10 g chamomile flowers pharmacy and linden, pour a glass of hot water, bring to a boil, insist and take half a cup three times a day.
Discomfort in the lower back can occur for various reasons. It is and menstruation in women, prostate diseases in men, of the tribe, the more serious pathology of the musculoskeletal system. But to address the question of what to do when back hurts in the lower back, the doctor must. Of independent methods of treatment is allowed only the local use of anti-inflammatory and warming ointments for a maximum of 10 days.