Pain in the lower back can occur in the elderly, as in younger. The discomfort may occur because of disease of the spine, kidneys, gastrointestinal tract, gynecological health problems and many other reasons, which is around hundreds. This is the most common complaint of patients when access to medical facilities.
Why hurt the lower back?
Doctors often called the feelings of lower back pain lumbar region, and in the precise localization and gives step - sciatica. If the wonder of the lumbar roots of this syndrome is called radiculopathy.
Discomfort in the lower part of the spine is not a separate disease, but is considered a serious symptom of a large number of diseases.
Causes of pain in the lower back may serve the following factors:
- Pathology of the kidney (trauma, inflammation, stones). When data pathologies the pain occurs on the left or on the right side of the spine.
- Osteochondrosis, intervertebral hernia and spondiloartrozom. Most of these diseases manifest themselves after 40 years and are rather typical for men than for women. In these diseases occurs aching pain in the lower part of the spine, also manifests itself in the tilt of the head, can numb the lower extremities, and there is frequent fatigue.
- The acute form of atypical appendicitis.
- Diseases of GIT (ulcers in duodenum or stomach, inflammation of the pancreas).
- Gynecological diseases (chlamydia, gonorrhea, candidiasis, pathology of the uterus, polycystic ovaries, endometriosis). More often in such cases, patients come to the doctor with a "sore" lower back pain. Pain lower back pain in women also during menstruation.
- The consequences of a stroke, a heart attack the spine, which is disrupted spinal circulation.
- Skin diseases (dermatitis, ringworm, granulomas). Pain during this sunbathing and comes as if from the inside of the skin.
- Microtrauma of the muscles of the back. In this case, the spasm can give to the coccyx and appear after a certain period of time after damage.
- The hormonal imbalance.
- Overweight. The lower part of the back when excess weight, sore from excessive load on the spine.
- Allergies. In such cases, there arises a pulling pain in the lower back, which is eliminated by the medical method.
- Tuberculosis. This pathology destroys the individual vertebrae and causes local discomfort.
- Violation of the balance of regeneration/destruction of bone tissue. Pain the pain becomes intense when the weather changes or the load on the spine.
- Diseases of the joints at an advanced age.
Frequent stays in a sitting position
- Malignant neoplasms in the spine. Causes of pain in this case - metastases in the lower back.
- Acute infectious diseases (phlebitis, proctitis, discitis, osteomyelitis, diseases of ENT-organs).
- Often pain in the lower back arise due to injury to the spine. When fractures of the vertebrae, is to feel strong and sharp pain in the lower abdomen or on the sides of him.
- Growing pains in children.
- When pregnancy. Pain in the lower back in this case is caused by physiological changes.
- Unfavorable heredity.
- Bad habits (smoking, alcohol, drugs).
- Increased physical load, or frequent stay in a sitting position.
When pathologies of the ovaries, the urinary and the digestive system, diseases of the spine pain lower back pain on the left side.
Discomfort in the lower back in men more frequently arise because of excess weight, sedentary job, long-term stay behind the wheel, frequent physical exertion, injury, or hypothermia, in women due to gynecological diseases, frequent carrying a child on hands or in consequence of a sedentary way of life.
What can be a pain?
Painful lower back used to be divided into two basic types: primary and secondary. The primary means spasm, which arise due to inflammation of the related structures (roots and nerves). Secondary manifests itself in the following problems:
- Congenital pathology.
- Injuries of the spine.
- Metabolic disorders.
- Diseases of the stomach, pancreas, intestines, abdominal aorta and the urogenital system.
According to the duration of pain split on chronic (more than 12 weeks) and spicy (to 12 weeks).
On the specifics of the pain syndrome on specific (emerging on the health and life of the patient), and nonspecific (in which it is not possible to establish a precise diagnosis).
According to the nature of the manifestations, pain is divided into the following:
- Local. It is caused by damage to the tissues and is permanent.
- It is believed. May be localized in one place and spread throughout the lumbar-sacral department. They arise when damage to the nerve structures. Varieties such pain - radicular and radicular. They have a sweeping character, usually dull or gnawing. In movements that affect and irritate the roots, the pain intensifies and becomes more acute and cutting.
- Reflected. Arises in pathologies of the internal organs and is localized in the abdominal cavity or pelvic area.
To narrow down the disease?
The different causes of the cause of the different nature of the pain in the lower back. And to the fact that the doctor could establish a diagnosis, it is necessary to be able to describe painful.
- Significant painful. Arises suddenly and is localized at some point. For example, the back hurts, the bottom left.
- Pulling pain after an awkward situation or monotonous processes. If lower back pain is so, then an expert can narrow down the suspected reasons of the occurrence of the symptom in time.
- Radiating pain, that gives in the legs and groin. Most likely, this symptom arises as a result of intervertebral hernia.
- Acute pain is pain localized in the lower part of the back also requires a doctor's attention, but usually not dangerous.
- Discomfort on the right or on the left side of the lower back that doesn't end even after the adoption of a comfortable provision, may be indicative of a malignant neoplasm.
Even after the determination of the species and varieties of the syndrome, the patient does not need to self-medicate, which most often does not bear any benefit, but only worsens the situation.
Upon the occurrence of spasm in the back right, center or left, there should be no delay to see a doctor.
The doctor examines the patient, and if there is a "sign of threat" (a malignant tumor, weight loss, immunosuppression, drug use, urinary tract infection, constant pain, fever, recurring pain in the older patient, metabolic bone disorders, the reception of anticoagulants, a significant spinal injury) may assign the following studies:
- general analysis of blood;
- biopsy of the bone marrow;
- consultation of other experts;
- biochemical analysis of blood;
- urine on Nechiporenko, General;
- analysis of the feces and secretions of the genital organs;
- an x-ray of the spine;
- CT and MRI;
- ULTRASOUND of internal organs;
- endoscopy of the intestines.
List methods of diagnosis may deepen findings the exact source of the emergence of discomfort.
In the absence of "signs of threat" the doctor prescribes the patient by anesthetizing therapy.
The identification of these factors in a patient is indicative of the possible availability of cancer:
- Sudden and unexplained weight loss.
- Conservative treatment in the course of a month does not give positive results.
- Significant painful lasts more than one month.
For young people (up to 50 years) at the start of the weight loss, but with the progress in the result of conservative treatment, Oncology can be excluded with 100% probability.
Treatment of pain in the lower back
The doctor will prescribe treatment of the patient based on the characteristics of the organism and the nature of the disease. If the lower back pain of the spine, the treatment deals with the spine, the neurologist or the orthopedist-traumatologist. The doctor should interview the patient: he endured whether it is anesthesia of the femur, whether there is fever; if it is active lumbar department, what kind of pain he is experiencing.
Treatment of discomfort in the back always held comprehensively:
- Physiotherapy. Thanks to the procedures it improves blood circulation in the tissues of the back, relaxation of the muscles. When cramps in the lower part of the spinal pillar, caused by problems with the spine, can set apart: electro-and phonophoresis; laser therapy; magnet therapy; wave therapy; cryotherapy; mud wraps; lessons in the pool; reflexology. The number of visits an appropriate course of physiotherapy, as is the situation with medicines, prescribe only doctor.
- Movement therapy, gymnastics. Without regular exercise, any disease causes spasms in the lower back, it will only progress. In the acute varieties of the syndrome, a doctor for the first time, it is recommended to wear a special orthopedic corset and comply with bed rest, but once the pain fades, until some exercise. The first exercise performed in the supine position, the legs alternately bend over and straighten - 20 times. Further, he turned on his stomach, the patient should raise the opposite arm and leg - 15 times. Then you need to gently rise up on all fours and arch your back alternately up and down, lingering at each position for 5 seconds - 10 times. Rising slowly rounded back, you must stand on the position of feet shoulder-width apart and perform mahi feet - 10 times on each leg. Further, if it is available trapeze or the Swedish wall, carried out the vis on the hands (30 seconds). The number of repetitions is probably the for beginners. If they are given with difficulty, then the standards it is possible to reduce or, conversely, increase, in the case of a small load. It is important not too overload the spine, because the main aim of these exercises - retaining muscle tone.
- Massage and manual therapy. This method of treatment is carried out only after consultation with the attending physician. Massage and manual therapy allow improve blood flow in the tissues, to relieve the tension of muscles, remove stiffness in the movements and remove the subluxation joints.
- The operating method. If even one of the above methods is not addressed, doctors resort to surgical intervention. After the operation the patient should some time go to fixing the corset and undergo a rehabilitation course.
- People's medicine. Depending on the localization of the disease, in the back left or right, there are many recipes for compresses, ointments, and tinctures that you can make at home. The most commonly used decoctions of the root of celery and dried leaves of the red raspberry.
There are cases when the pain is so strong that a person can fall in love on the pain of the shock, then the doctor should immediately apply the patient is a strong painkiller and an ambulance.
In order to make the pathology of the musculoskeletal system with pain in the lower back, you need to:
- Observe moderation in physical exertion. To the patient it is important to strengthen the abdominal muscles and back, and do not overload.
- While playing in the gym, should avoid exercise on the treadmill.
- Course therapeutic massage.
- At the slightest symptoms of pain in the back, seek the advice of a therapist.
- In cases where pain arises whilst walking or deals step, it is necessary to turn to a podiatrist.
Pain in the lower back pain can be as a temporary phenomenon due to fatigue or tension of the muscles and leads after a certain stay in a horizontal position, and a symptom of serious diseases. Timely appeal to the doctor can help the patient in time to start treatment, and get rid of tormenting his discomfort. And prevention of pain syndrome save you from occurrence in the future as an unpleasant symptom.
And a little bit about the secret
Have you ever experienced a constant pain in the back, neck or unbearable pain in the joints? Judging by the fact that you are reading this article - You or your loved one is already familiar with them personally. And of course on your own skin you know that it's:
- Enduring an agonizing and acute pain;
- The impossibility of comfortable and easy to move;
- The constant tension of the muscles of the back and neck;
- Unpleasant crunching and clicking in the joints;
- Sharp lumbago in the spine or causeless pain in the joints;
- The inability to sit long in one position.