Pain in the left back may have different localization and to accumulate in region of shoulder blade, chest, under the ribs or in the lower back. Pain can wear a different character (sharp, dull, aching) and acquires the status of a chronic. For acute pain in the back left, you should immediately consult a doctor because they may signal the development of serious pathologies.
Pain in left side of back can be a primary (non-specific), secondary (specific) and indirect (which arise due to diseases of the internal organs).
Causes of back pain on the left
Pain in left side of back can be indicative of various pathological processes in the body:
- cardiovascular disease (angina, small focal myocardial infarction, aortic aneurysm, pericarditis);
- diseases of the respiratory system (pleural effusion, spontaneous pneumothorax, pneumonia, neoplastic processes in the lungs or bronchi);
- diseases of the digestive organs (acute pancreatitis);
- diseases of the urinary system (renal colic and renal artery thrombosis, retroperitoneal hematoma);
- the spinal cord and peripheral nervous system;
- degenerative-dystrophic lesions of the spine (osteochondrosis, spondylosis)
- trauma and shock;
- infectious lesions.
Sometimes the appearance of pain provoked by psychogenic factors. In this case, the syndrome develops under the influence of depression and severe emotional stress.
Diagnosis back pain left
Diagnostic methods aimed at identifying the underlying disease that causes the development of pain syndrome. If pain is observed in the region of the scapula, you should consult a cardiologist. Pain syndrome require the advice of the pulmonologist, because he was accompanied by a cough and shortness of breath. You may also need examination by a neurologist, gastroenterologist, gynecologist, urologist, surgeon and specialists of other profiles.
For diagnosis a number of laboratory studies. The most information method of diagnosis is the chest x-ray, MRI and CT (if necessary).
Treatment back pain on the left
To self-medicate with pain medicine or alternative medicine methods should not be, because they are not able to cure the underlying disease, a symptom of which is pain in left side of back. To the disease has progressed and treatment brought the desired effect, it is necessary to consult a doctor. With a sharp, acute and recurrent pain, it is advisable to call an ambulance.
Complex therapy assigned according to the diagnostic results, focusing not only on relieving and preventing pain, but primarily on treatment of the underlying disease.